Sunday, January 09, 2011

My First Review of SECOND SIGHT!

Rose Green was kind enough to take me up on last week's offer of a review e-copy of Second Sight, and she just posted a wonderful review of it on her blog:

Who this book is for: the intermediate to advanced writer, preferably someone who has already completed (or at least is deeply into) a first draft. There is definitely a hole in the market for books for intermediate writers, the ones who are past the introductory stages of how a book is put together but who don’t yet have an agent or editor of their own to guide them. It’s full of practical suggestions for deep revision, for finding those “electric fence emotions” (as she describes the raw feelings of middle school) and pulling them forward to connect with readers in a real, believable way. The book itself is written with authority; not just because of Klein’s editor hat, but because she herself is an excellent writer, particularly gifted at pinpointing and expressing plot structure, voice, characterization—in short, the underpinnings of a novel.
Glory! Thank you, Rose.

The designer and I should hash out the final details on the cover this week, and the book will go to print as soon as that's done, making it available for sale in early February, I hope. If you have a blog and you'd be interested in hosting me to talk about the book -- a Q&A or a guest post or whatever you like -- feel free to contact me at asterisk.bks at gmail dot com. All very exciting!

5 comments:

  1. I haven't read your blog in awhile. Blogs seem to surge in and out of my view when I'm not paying attention. I think "Remember that blog Brooklyn Arden? Why don't I read that any more?" and then I re-subscribe. In reading this post, I wondered if this might be a useful title for me to recommend to a blogger (and a professor of physics at USC)who is currently creating a graphic novel. I'm not sure what level he's writing it for since he only recently began to tell us about what he calls the Project. Google Chrome refuses to let me look at the wonderful review because it suspects Malware.

    If you want to look at the book he's creating, he's blogging about it at Asymptotia.com For example: http://asymptotia.com/2011/01/04/paints/

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a pleasure to review, Cheryl.

    Jude, I don't know why your computer is warning you the Livejournal site is dangerous, but you can also read it here: http://rose-green.blogspot.com/2011/01/second-sight-by-cheryl-klein-review.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so exciting! I can't wait to read it. I don't have a blog yet or would love to host you.

    I'm going to pass on the information to some of my writer friends who do have blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,

    Natalie Aguirre told me you were looking for bloggers. My blog is http://aclairedawn(dot)blogspot(dot)com and my email is muchlanguage(at)gmail(dot)com.

    Good luck with the book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rose is a wonderful reviewer. I can't wait to read the book. If you want another blog-review, I sure am willing.

    ReplyDelete