Friday, February 20, 2009

BOOK SALE!

Yes, it's time again for the fabulous annual Park Slope United Methodist Church Book Sale! This Saturday from 8:30 to 4:30 and Sunday from 12:30 to 4:30, you can pick up used books, CDs, DVDs, videotapes and records for ridiculously wonderful low prices -- $2 for hardcover, $1.50 for trade paper, $1 for kids' paper, $.50 for mass-market. I helped sort and carry books tonight and came away with some prizes already:
  • American Gods by Neil Gaiman (which I've wanted to read ever since I saw this blog post)
  • Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett (my first-ever Pratchett)
  • Feeling Sorry for Celia by the lovely Jaclyn Moriarty (read it ages ago, but now I have a copy of my own)
  • A book of knitting cartoons as a gift for a friend's mother
  • Sacred Games by Vikram Chandra
  • The Learners by Chip Kidd (The trade paperback isn't quite as blinged-up as his hardcover of The Cheese Monkeys, which has the most awesomely designed book package for a novel I have ever seen in my life; but I liked the content of Cheese Monkeys as well, so I'm looking forward to this sequel.) (Just saw this video . . . dang. Maybe I should hold out for the hardcover of The Learners as well.)
And this being Park Slope, we have a ton of kids and young-adult books, alongside lots of nonfiction and esoterica. I almost bought a Victorian-era hardback of Anna Leonowens's memoirs, complete with gilt detailing on the hardcover and engraved plates throughout; but passed because bookshelf space here is at such a premium already. . . . I don't know that I can afford to keep books I won't read just because they're beautiful. That may have been a stupid decision -- but if it was, you can profit from my stupidity by purchasing it yourself!

PSUMC is located at the corner of 6th Ave. and 8th St. in Park Slope; take the F to 7th Ave. or the R to 4th Ave./9th St. Donations are also welcome from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. on Friday, at which point we become an all-retail enterprise, one well worth your time. Hope to see you there!

3 comments:

  1. I hope you enjoy American Gods and Good Omens! They're among my favorite books (in an admittedly low brow collection). Just popped over from Jeremiah's site to say hi. Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI!! I've been reading your blog for about six months and love it. Thank you for the post about the book sale and for mentioning Anna Leonowen.It reminded me of my earliest known ancestor, the Countess d'Isque, who fled France during the persecution of the French Protestant Huguenots and found refuge in the Schwarzwald of Germany. These strong women are truly admirable!

    Really like your discussions about words. Recently I was in an adult spelling bee. It's a yearly fund raiser for our public school system where I teach. Everyone had to think of a name for their team and dress up. We were the "Glitter Girls" and wore our grandmothers' rhinestone necklaces, pins, and anything else that would sparkle.

    The high school was standing room only as the 48 teams, from all walks of life, competed. Unfortunately, my team lost when we were given the word infinitesimal. I insisted that there was only one "s". The other teachers on my team insisted there were two. Even though we didn't win, the experience was hysterical and it was great hearing our students and their parents cheer for us. We're definitely going to compete again next year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah truly a great site.I really enjoyed my visit.

    ReplyDelete