Saturday, February 24, 2007

Name of the Day

I have now returned from not only dinner but a screening of the film "Amazing Grace" with my friend Zoe. We had originally intended to see "The Last King of Scotland," but it was sold out; I suppose exchanging Idi Amin for William Wilberforce was morally good for us, but as with many morally good things, it probably wasn't as much fun as the alternative. The acting is strong and the eighteenth-century costumes are gorgeous, yet it suffers from too-tight editing, as well as having to convince its main character of a cause the audience already knows to be just and right. Still, all these faults can be forgiven in the name of the actor who plays William Pitt the Younger, who is delightfully called:

I love this name more than I can say, and I hope he makes it big so I can say it often. "Have you seen the latest Benedict Cumberbatch film?" I'll ask my friends. "I so loved Benedict Cumberbatch in that role." Plus he apparently appeared in a film about University Challenge, and he will be in this year's adaptation of Atonement (amazing novel) -- although considering that's being directed by Joe Wright of P&P-from-Hell fame, I won't expect too much.
Nonetheless, who's going to be in the film? Benedict Cumberbatch. Baby, remember that name.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I love it! Let's write to the Academy and ask them to add a new category.

    And the Oscar for Best Name goes to ....

    "... and last but not least, I'd like to thank Mum and Dad Cumberbatch, for giving me such a cool moniker."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know i'm late on this, but you MUST see him in "Hawking". He's fantastic!

    ReplyDelete