Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Racing for the Cure

(a post meant for friends, family, and any interested New Yorkers)

Some statistics:

This year more than 212,000 women in the United States will be diagnosed with breast cancer.

Women living in North America have the highest rate of breast cancer in the world.

A woman stands a 1 in 8 chance of developing invasive breast cancer within her lifetime.

40,000 will die from the disease this year alone.

And in 2003, one of them was my grandmother.

For all these reasons, I am once again coordinating a team for the Komen NYC Race for the Cure on Sunday, September 10. It will be a New York Carleton Club team, but I would be delighted to have non-Carls join the team (search for "New York Carleton Club" in the team listings) or contribute. Many wonderful and life-changing women in my life have undergone treatment for breast disease -- my aunt, my second-grade teacher, my dear high-school Quiz Bowl coach and English teacher -- so this is a deeply personal event for me. While it is hard to express appreciation without devolving into cliche, I offer my most honest and generous thanks to anyone who supports the cause: Thank you, very much.

And take care, everyone.

1 comment:

  1. I'm not friend (except through this blog), family, or a New Yorker, but I have an aunt who is currently fighting breast cancer. I will contribute what I can (as I always do to this cause). Thank you for doing this! :D

    ReplyDelete