Saturday, June 03, 2006

Submissions Site, Sid, and Splash with the Sox

I just updated my website with a page of Submissions Guidelines and What I'm Looking For. Thanks to all of you writers who chimed in earlier with comments on this topic.

David LaRochelle's Absolutely, Positively Not . . . won the Sid Fleischman Award for Humor from the SCBWI (just two years after Lisa carried it off for Millicent Min, Girl Genius). Some people still made a stab at restricting its distribution -- but the awesome John Coy was on the case.

And My Senator and Me was featured on the scoreboard at Fenway Park!: Books at the Ballpark.

(Incidentally, the title link above is for the Amazon.com page on My Senator and Me, and many of the one-star reviews there are -- I want to say "astounding" in their vitriol, but given our current level of political discourse, "typical" might be the right word. In any case, they don't bother me because they're so obviously reviewing the man and not the book.)

9 comments:

  1. No, sorry, I only accept SQUIDs. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Extra credit for using pen and squid ink for address?

    Sascha

    ReplyDelete
  3. How weird to type the word. Squid. Squid. Oh, it's hard to type without looking at the keys. I know I have never typed that word before. It's a bit of thrill. Squid. Oh, the squids...er kids, are calling. They want to watch Spongebob to see Squidwerd. Later, hubby and I plan to watch a DVD of Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Squid. Okay, enough squidding around.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I stumbled on your web site and blog some time ago and have enjoyed all of your discussion on plot and character and meaning, especially after knowing that you are behind Millicent Min, Harry Potter, and Walid. (Millicent has possibly the most consistent "voice" I've read in a long time). And thanks for posting your new submission guidelines--very helpful!

    I do have one question. I know you are over foreign acquisitions; are you open to/actively seeking domestic titles as well, or is that sort of thing purely incidental?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for asking for our opinions about changing your submission guidelines. I hope the new system works well for you.

    You had me laughing with SQUID. I've always found that word funny, and it has become a family joke. When I was pregnant with my second daughter, I asked my two year old if she thought she would have a baby brother or baby sister, and she'd say sister. Then I'd ask if she thought it would be a baby sister or baby brother, and she'd say brother. So, I asked if she thought she would have a baby sister or baby squid. Of course, she answered squid, then realized what she said and erupted into a fit of giggles. So, until we found out the sex of my younger daughter, she was called baby squid.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Do I get extra points for enclosing an actual squid with the MS? Or at the very least, throwing it on the ice during a Detroit Red Wings game when the ref makes a bad call?

    (Though I don't know if they still do that.)

    I need to type these replies before 1 a.m. because then I just get silly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am very actively looking for domestic acquisitions -- hence the new submissions guidelines!

    And submissions that include real squids will not be considered, sorry. I love the word, not so much the actual slimy octuped (unless it's fried with cocktail sauce).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, how funny! SQUID. :-) The postal workers will be calling the Pentagon to inform them of the mysterious envelopes with a secret code word printed on them. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  9. my first grade friend Nigel *loves* Squids also. When his class was acting out The Mitten (Jan Brett), a story where several woodland animals squeeze into a small woolen mitten, he wanted to be the squid.

    I let him.

    ReplyDelete